The government provides extra funding to improve provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools in England – The Primary PE & Sport Premium.
The four objectives of the Primary PE and Sport Premium funding are:
- To improve the quality of existing PE teaching through continuing professional learning in PE for generalists, so that all primary pupils improve their health, skills and physical literacy, and have broader exposure to a range of sports
- To increase participation levels in competitive sport and healthy activity of pupils, and maintain these into adolescence
- To increase the quality of initial teacher training in PE and sport, and to promote PE specialisation in primary level workforce
- Schools understand and value the benefits of high quality PE and sport, including its use as a tool for whole school improvement
Swimming – 2022/23 Year 6 cohort
- 68% can swim competently and confidently over a distance of 25 metres.
- 51% can use a range of strokes effectively
- 42% can perform safe, self-rescue in different water-based situations